Barcelona Football Club faces a challenging scenario as they might have to navigate the remainder of their La Liga campaign without the services of key player Dani Olmo. The Spanish international has made a significant impact since his arrival from RB Leipzig last summer, netting seven league goals and playing a vital role in propelling Barcelona to the top of the La Liga table. However, his tenure at the club has been overshadowed by ongoing complications related to his registration, leading to uncertainty surrounding his ability to participate in upcoming matches.
The current predicament arises from La Liga’s declaration that FC Barcelona lacks the financial “capacity” needed to officially register both Olmo and fellow forward Pau Victor. This issue is set to be evaluated by Spain’s sports ministry, known as CSD (Consejo Superior de Deportes), which is expected to release a decision this week regarding whether the duo will be permitted to take part in the remaining fixtures of the season. While Barcelona was granted temporary licenses to register both players last summer, these licenses were revoked by La Liga in January due to the club’s inability to demonstrate compliance with financial regulations stipulated by the league.
Despite the temporary setback, the CSD permitted Barcelona to reinstate Olmo and Victor momentarily while an appeal was processed, with a definitive resolution anticipated by April 7. La Liga has since issued a formal statement, indicating, “The financial statements show Barcelona did not have the required capacity to register Olmo and Victor as of December 31, 2024, nor on January 3, 2025, nor any date thereafter.”
Adding to the complexities of the situation, Barcelona reportedly announced a deal to sell VIP boxes at the renovated Camp Nou for a substantial €100 million in January. They claimed this influx of funds would facilitate the registration of Olmo. However, La Liga contested that this transaction was not accounted for in the club’s financial records, stating, “No amount from the [VIP box deal] is ultimately recorded in the profit and loss accounts, contrary to what had been certified by the club and the auditor at the time of said transaction.”
This predicament places significant pressure on Barcelona as they approach a critical juncture in the season, a sentiment echoed by the club’s president, Joan Laporta. He firmly stated, “Three months ago, I said that Olmo and Pau Victor’s registrations were handled properly, adhering to all requirements set forth by the RFEF [Royal Spanish Football Federation] and La Liga. I maintain that position.” Laporta further expressed his concerns, suggesting that the timing of this decision coincides with a significant match against Atletico Madrid, asserting, “I have a feeling that this is not coincidental. It seems to me that, unable to defeat us on the pitch, some aim to weaken us off it.”
Beyond the challenges regarding player registration, the Catalan club faces a demanding schedule ahead. Following Barcelona’s Copa del Rey semi-final clash with Atletico Madrid, they will host Real Betis in La Liga, seeking to maintain their strong performance in the league. The team is also gearing up for a crucial UEFA Champions League quarter-final match against Borussia Dortmund, which is scheduled for April 9, and will be broadcast live on TNT Sports and discovery+.
As Barcelona navigates these tumultuous waters, fans and analysts alike will be watching closely to see how the situation unfolds, hoping for a resolution that allows Dani Olmo to contribute to the team’s ambitions as they chase glory in multiple competitions. The coming days will be pivotal, not just for the club’s financial and administrative stability, but also for their campaign on the pitch during this crucial time in the season.